The first quarter year end has brought on challenge after challenge due to the COVID-19 pandemic and implemented social restrictions. This June, we celebrate a smooth transition from Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) phase to Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO).
Here’s a look back at some of this month’s historic events throughout 20 years.
2000 – 2020
- 4 June : Penang hosts Malaysia’s 8th Sukma Games (2000 Sukma Games) multi-sports event from 25 May 2000 – 4 June 2000.
- 13 June : Malaysia’s biggest transport station KL Sentral opens in Kuala Lumpur; replacing Kuala Lumpur Railway Station as the main hub.
- 22 June : Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad announces step down from office after 22 years as Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- 23 June : A tower base reported as part of the Porto de Santiago fort built by Portuguese settlers 500 years earlier is discovered near Padang Pahlawan, Malacca.
- 20 June : Petaling Jaya is granted city status, thus becoming the municipality in Selangor—after Shah Alam—with city rights.
- 9 June : The first instance of bird flu is detected in Paya Jaras, Sungai Buloh, Selangor.
- 23 June : SMART Tunnel stormwater tunnel opens.
- 1 June : The Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) celebrates its Golden Jubilee after 50 years in service.
- 11 June : Putrajaya officially opens Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Mosque; also known as the Iron Mosque.
- 10 June : Johor officially opens Sungai Johor Bridge on Senai-Desaru Expressway to the public, becoming the home state to the longest river bridge in Malaysia.
- 26 June : Malacca opens Macau Gallery Malacca in Peringgit.
- 29 June : ‘Ops Sanggah’ officially replaces ‘Ops Daulat’; lead under Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) to monitor and defend 10 coastal districts from intrusion following the Lahad Datu standoff.
- 1 June : The first bus rapid transit (BRT) in the country, Sunway Bus Rapid Transit (Sunway BRT), officially opens.
- 16 June : Malaysia wins 62 gold medals at the 2015 Southeast Asian Games in Singapore.
- 21 June : Malaysian World No. 1 badminton player, Lee Chong Wei, wins US Open tournament.
- 27 June : Malaysia under 13 football wins the finale of Ibercup Costa del Sol against Portugal’s Sporting CP, 2-1.
- 11 June : Malaysian swimmer Welson Sim wins the men’s 400m freestyle record-breaking splash at Mare Nostrum Tour in Monte Carlo, Monaco, beating Olympics Champion Mack Horton from Australia.
- 13 June : The world’s second largest Quran printing complex, Nasyrul Quran opens in Putrajaya.
- 22 June : Malaysia Prime Minister Najib Razak launches special court for Child Sexual Abuse, combating sexual abuse against children and holistic protection.
- 26 June : Asia’s very first animation theme park, Movie Animation Park Studios opens in Ipoh, Perak.
- 1 June : Malaysia’s Goods and Services Tax is reduced to 1% from 6%.
- 13 June : Malaysian badminton champion Datuk Lee Chong Wei announces his retirement
- 10 June : Malaysia’s Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) in combating the coronavirus pandemic is replaced with a Recovery CMCO phase.